Tuesday 25 March 2008

Where's the catch?



I found this report on The Guardian website today really interesting.

To me it appears to be a typical case of the wrong people making the rules. There is already so much pressure on traditional artisan ways of life in this country. In order to be a successful butcher, baker and candlestick maker (ahem, you get the drift), you need shrewd business sense, an IT qualification and preferably a Marketing MBA.

It's just harsh. And as if that isn't enough, there's the EU quota issue, which is adding to the increase in fishermen calling it a day.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not exactly in favour of depleting our oceans of fish, obviously. But I also know that these fish don't become endangered because of father and son teams who take to the water in row boats.

Big businesses wade through water like tanks at war while little towns lose their souls and livelihoods paying the price.

And (one more thing) I don't know hellish much about EU rationing, but a quota system that leaves fishermen no option but to throw dead fish back into the water in a sad attempt to secure their income for the next couple of months makes me think there just has to be a better way.

If you know more about all this than we do, add a comment.

No comments: