Tuesday 18 March 2008

Top three weird things


This entrepreneurial adventure has been amazing so far. Challenging, scary at times, fun and hugely exciting, it has been more than I ever hoped.

However, there have also been a few things that have just been a bit, well, odd. And wrapping my head around them has been quite amusing. So I thought it was high time I shared these personal discoveries with you in my aptly named 'top three weird things' post.

Weird thing number three - the highs are dizzyingly high, the lows are utterly miserable

I feel all the business highs and lows through emotional binoculars. Everything's way, way bigger and more important than it needs to be. Case in point, my first sale. The first time a shop signed up and became a bona fide Unchained member I felt like Superwoman. Better than any multi-million pound advertising pitch win, I walked out of that shop on cushion of air and immediately phoned everyone I could to tell them the amazing news. And if that's how disproportionately good I felt, you don't want to get me started on the not-so-hot days. Makes me wonder if it's possible to care too much? Nah, of course not.

Weird thing number two - so many hats, so little time

Along with this business has come a raft of job titles. I’m an Admin Assistant, Marketing Manager, Sales Director, IT consultant and Finance Director (which is particularly frightening). And without wanting to sound bratty, it's hard doing everything for yourself.

Weird thing number one - becoming 'the client'

The weirdest thing - and the reason this weird thing tops the weird thing list - is that people talk to from a safe arm's length away. I talk to suppliers (who are all brilliant and I love very much) and instead of talking back to me like a normal person, they snap into a crazed ultra-diplomatic version of human. I talk to them, they pitch to me. And (like my very brilliant friend Samantha Wood noted) it makes me take everything said from that point onwards with a large pinch of salt.

Interestingly it's taught me quite a lot about how not to treat a client. This is all stuff I wish I knew before unleashing myself on my own clients for all those years.

No comments: